A. Adult Dental
- Work towards comprehensive adult dental coverage in Medicaid/AHCCCS.
B. Medicaid Children’s Utilization
- Support policies and efforts that address the low utilization of dental benefits among children covered by Medicaid/AHCCCS by increasing meaningful network capacity.
C. Prevention Aligned Payment Models
- Support policies and efforts that align payment models of oral health care to focus on early prevention in both private and public insurance programs.
D. Primary Care and Telehealth Integration
- Support policies and efforts that integrate oral health care in the primary care setting and increase the utilization of telehealth.
Scroll down to see a workplan summary or download the whole workplan by clicking on the button on the right
Develop Three-Year Strategic Plan
Objective 1A: Comprehensive plan will serve as a guide for AZOHC growth and provide benchmarks
- Activity 1: Launch Leadership Council (LC)
- Activity 2: Hire coalition Coordinator
- Activity 3: Establish three-year plan which outlines the plan for growing the coalition membership network, improving representation,identifying and applying for additional revenue sources (grants, donations)
- Activity 4: Develop communication guidelines to promote Coalition activities including Membership recruitment, Public policy/legislative agenda activities, Promote events
- Activity 5: Conduct evaluation of AZOHC after first year using the evaluation plan -review evaluation results in LC meetings and incorporate findings into all aspects of the AZOHC
Create process for public policy, advocacy, and legislative priorities
Public awareness of oral health value
Key champions to support legislative and executive branch leaders
Objective 2A: Create process for Advocacy,
- Activity 1: Monitor the 2019 AZ legislative session
- Activity 2: Continue to sign up AZOHC member to AZ legislative request to speak system
- Activity 3: Provide regular updates to the coalition member network on legislative session
- Activity 4: Conduct legislative advocacy such as: signing on in support of bills that advance or four policy priorities, sending action alerts for coalition members to contact lawmakers, submitting opinion articles to media, conducting media interviews, providing talking points to members etc.
- Activity 5: Hold state-wide oral health policy summit in partnership with the Arizona Public Health Association (AzPHA).
Objective 2B: Conduct Policy and advocacy around our top four policy priorities
- Activity 1: Review available data on children’s utilization of Medicaid dental benefit and the adequacy of the Medicaid network (WORKGROUP B)
- Activity 2: Advocate Medicaid/AHCCCS and/or managed care plans to improve utilization (WORKGROUP B)
- Activity 3: Support the implementation of dental therapist in Arizona by crosswalking tribal and FQHC implementation and supporting where necessary (WORKGROUP A)
- Activity 4: Continue to work with AzCHOW on integrating of oral health education in CHW licensure requirements (WORKGROUP D)
Objective 2C: Conduct Policy and advocacy around our top four policy priorities
- Activity 1: Support policies and efforts that align payment models of oral health care to focus on early prevention in both private and public insurance programs by researching alternative payment models available in Medicaid/AHCCCS and partnering with the Arizona State University Center Safety Net Advancement Center (WORKGROUP C)
- Activity 2: Support legislation that integrate oral health care in the primary care setting such as the delegation of fluoride varnish to medical assistants, the implementation of dental therapist into community health centers, and increase the utilization of telehealth. (WORKGROUP D)
Conduct equity assessment of Coalition infrastructure planning process and outcomes
Increased awareness of health and oral health equity
Objective 3A: Equity Assessment
- Activity 1: Identify equity assessment tool to be used with technical assistance of TAPAZ
- Activity 2: LC meets on results of assessment tool to understand elements of an equity framework
- Activity 3: Identify opportunities to embed equity into Coalition structure based on assessment findings
- Activity 4: Identify opportunities to improve infrastructure, membership, communications, and governance operations (strategic planning included) to align with findings